Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Life as Julie Andrews (with English subtitles)

August 23
My short-lived stay in Bologna was over. I packed for Cortina and Venice, and went into the city with Nicola and Anna.
While Nicola tied up some lose ends at work, Anna took me shopping in the city. Little known fact: in Italy, all the sales happen AT THE SAME TIME. Guess what time it was when I got there? Yep. You guessed it. Sale time. The two of us shopped for a bit before heading to her grandparents’ (on Nicola’s side) apartment. Once there, I met Anna’s great-grandparents, who taught me how to play a card game called Machiavelli, which is so super fun.  
Then came the 3 ½ hour drive into the Alps, to a little town called Cortina (home of a smattering of the Olympic events when they were held in Torino).
Anna and I then took her dog Spike for a walk. We ended up on this gorgeous hill covered with wildflowers, so naturally I started twirling and singing in a way that I hoped would be even slightly reminiscent of this, but probably ended up being more like this.
Then came the real work. Though both the children I am living with (Anna and Guido) speak English fluently (as do their parents, Carlotta and Nicola), their grandparents (Carlo and Giovanna, whose house I am living in) do not. Neither Carlotta nor Nicola could join us on this mountainous getaway, so I have found myself stranded in Italy, being forcefully taught Italian. (yes, this was the plan, I did intend for this to happen, but that DOES NOT make it any easier, and half the time I find myself standing there, utterly lost.). HALP.

No comments:

Post a Comment